Blooms

Cold with a bit of snow today; kind of thought we were past all that.
I took some pictures of what is blooming in the yard so I could look
back next year and get an idea how early or late spring is.

The dandelions have just appeared in the past couple days. I've always
liked dandelions and felt that they are wildflower not a weed. I think
of a weed as one of those things with thorns that causes intense pain
when you step on it. Now that I have honey bees I feel like mowing all
those great flowers is not as easy as it used to be, especially when
bees are working them.

The catalpa trees have small buds and some are starting to open on
lower branches of the young trees. The older ones look as if it were
mid-winter, not any signs of life.

The cherry tree pictured here has bloomed within the past two days,
while the Bradford pear has been in full bloom for about the past five
or six days. A few honey bees were on the blooms in the late afternoon
when I got home the other day, but I never got to see if it was being
heavily visited during the rest of the day. Not sure if it is a good
source of nectare or not.

We will be out of the freezing temperatures by tomorrow and back into
the sixties by the middle of the week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trapout in Bergen - Video update

Craig Yerdon's Organically Managed Beekeeping Podcasts

Mid-Summer Honey