A few problems and a trapout

Well, the winter went okay except we lost one of the two hives... the Washington. As you may know, I've decided to name the hives after the US presidents to help me learn them as I go - ha!

Time to try a trapout from a beehive in a tree out in Bergen, NY. The owner is highly allergic to bee stings and would like to walk along his wooded path without worry. He is glad to have the bees taken to a new home.

So, I set up the trapout and was ready to pull a frame of fresh eggs out of the Jefferson hive, but... no eggs. I knew the numbers had dropped after a predicted swarm, but I thought the old queen would still be doing her job. Not from what I saw. The whole brood box was empty and clean. Lots of bees though. The numbers looked strong.

So, I called Jill at Bloomfield Honey Farm and she set me up with two laying survivor stock queens for $30 a piece. She will have them for us today in queen cages with attendants so I can go out tomorrow and get the trapout started as well as requeen the Jefferson hive.

(Video of the hive ready in the tree in Bergen, NY)
(Video of the screen cone that will be placed over the opening in the tree)


Since starting to name our hives we have lost "Adams", then "Washington". In an amazing historical coincidence:"Jefferson lives!" was said by John Adams on his deathbed, not knowing that Jefferson had passed away. They both died on July 4, 1826 within 5 hours of each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craig Yerdon's Organically Managed Beekeeping Podcasts

Trapout in Bergen - Video update

Mid-Summer Honey