Making Sure

Things look good down at the two hives. The placement of the apiary
seemed to have worked out well this winter. Living at the top of one
of the highest spots around leaves our property exposed to the West
winds that blow across the open fields. I was able to locate the hives
on the lee side of a stand of sumacs, blocking the worst of the winds.
I was lucky on the first summer of beekeeping, the field that borders
our property to the East was all red clover. It will most likely be
field corn this summer, but it could be soybean and that would be great.
For now I'll keep feeding the bees until I see some signs that the
maple trees have bloomed. I've read that maples could be a good source
of nectar if the weather stays warm enough for the bees to fly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trapout in Bergen - Video update

Craig Yerdon's Organically Managed Beekeeping Podcasts

Mid-Summer Honey